Current Affairs of 18 November


Statue of Unity
Statue of Unity is Visible From Space - Planet Labs, the world's leading commercial satellite network, released a satellite image of Statue of Unity in Gujarat, which was recently inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. At 192 Meter, India’s Statue of Unity is now the tallest statue in the world and clearly seen from space. Satellite SkySat captured the image on 15 November 2018.

Donald Trump and Xi Jinping
USA - China Meeting on Trade War - Top officials from China and the US will hold talks in Buenos Aires, Argentina over the trade deadlock, ahead of the meeting between President Donald Trump and his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping. Trump, who is demanding China to cut down USD 375 billion trade deficit, has imposed tariffs on USD 250 billion Chinese exports and threatened to impose tariffs on the remaining USD 265 billion. Trump and Xi plan to meet in Buenos Aires on the side-lines of G20 meeting on December 1.


Western Peripheral Expressway - Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the Delhi Western Peripheral Expressway also called the Kundli-Manesar-Palwal (KMP) Expressway on 19 November. The Expressway is about 136 kilometres long. The cost of land acquisition and project preparation, etc for both the Eastern Peripheral Expressway as well as Western Peripheral Expressway was borne by the Delhi government, Uttar Pradesh government and Haryana government in the ratio of 50:25:25 respectively.


Guideline for Drone Operators - Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) has come out with strict rules to keep a tab on people operating remotely piloted aircraft systems (RPAS). Obtaining a licence to operate a drone over 2 kg in weight will now cost you Rs 25,000. Renewing the licence will come at Rs 10,000. Drone operator must obtain a unique identification number (UIN) and will need formal training to do so from a DGCA approved flying training organisation.


Ministerial Meeting of BASIC - Ahead of the UN climate conference in Poland, environment ministers and top negotiators of BASIC nations — Brazil, South Africa, India and China — will meet in New Delhi. The meeting was organized by BASIC countries to adopt a common policy in UN climate conference.


Reservation to Maratha Community in Maharashtra - The Maharashtra government has decided to provide reservation in jobs and education to the Maratha community under the newly-constituted independent category called the Social and Education Backward Class (SEBC), Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis announced. At present, the total reservation in Maharashtra accounts for 52 per cent. The 16 per cent quota to the Maratha community will take the total reservation in the state to 68 per cent. 


Kolkata: Most Polluted City - The level of pollutants in Kolkata has surpassed the level of particulate matter in New Delhi. The National Air Quality Index website showed that the overall PM 2.5 count in Kolkata stood at 381 (very poor) on 15 November when compared to Delhi where the AQI was recorded at 292.25.


Naturopathy Day - The AYUSH (Ayurvedic, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homeopathy) Ministry is celebrating its first Naturopathy Day across the country on 18 November. The Central Council for Research in Yoga and Naturopathy is organising health camps and workshops with local naturopathy centres and hospitals.


World Toilet Day - The Swachh Bharat Mission (Grameen) will celebrate the World Toilet Day on 19 November with mass awareness and mobilization activities across States and districts.  The focus is on usage of toilets, which is closely linked to the Prime Minister’s call for a Swachh Bharat by October 2019.


Qaumi Ekta Week - With a view to foster and reinforce the spirit of Communal Harmony, the “Qaumi Ekta Week” (National Integration Week) will be observed all over the country, from 19 November to 25th November, 2018.


Institute for Animation - The government will set up Animation, Gaming and Visual effects Institute in Mumbai to encourage youth participation in the field of film and cinematography.